Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for federal student financial aid (grants, loans, work-study)?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at using federal school code 030646.


What must I do to complete my financial aid application (FAFSA)?
You will need the following information:

      • FSA ID (apply online at for you and your parents (if applicable)
      • Social Security number and date of birth for you and your parents (if applicable)
      • Income tax return from two years prior for you and/or your parent(s)/spouse
      • W-2 forms from two years prior for you and/or your parent(s)/spouse
      • Other financial information includes pensions, workers’ compensation, child support received or paid, military disability benefits, etc.


Who qualifies for federal student aid?
You may be eligible to receive federal student aid if you meet the following minimum requirements:

      • Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
      • Are not in default on any prior student loan or do not owe an overpayment on any Title IV financial aid
      • Are meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress
      • Have graduated from an accredited high school or have a GED
      • Have turned in verification documents, if requested by the Financial Aid Office


If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should I use when completing the FAFSA?
If your biological parents are divorced, use the financial data for the parent with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months. If you lived with neither parent or with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent who provided the most financial support over the past 12 months. If that parent remarried, you must include the step-parent’s financial information on the application.


Do I need to apply for financial aid every year?
Yes, a FAFSA application must be completed every academic school year. Applications can be made as early as October 1st. The priority deadline is January 15th of each year.


How do I obtain a copy of the IRS Tax Return Transcript?
Options to request IRS Return Transcripts include:

      • Online:
      • By Phone: 1-800-908-9946 or
      • By Mail: IRS Form 4506T-EZ
      • *Account transcripts are NOT sufficient for verification purposes*


How do I obtain a Verification of Non-Filing Letter?
A Verification of Non-filing Letter proves that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ as filed.  Options to request this letter include:

      • Online:
      • By Phone: 1-800-908-9946 or
      • By Mail: IRS Form 4506T-EZ


Why can’t you discuss my financial aid status with my spouse, parents, and outside agencies?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 limits access to educational records without express written consent. You must provide this authorization by completing the Authorization to Release Financial Aid Records form each academic year. Outside agencies will have their forms, which you may sign when they wish to access information about you.


Do I have to attend full-time to qualify for financial aid?
No, you may enroll on a part-time basis. However, any financial aid you may qualify for will be adjusted according to the number of hours you are enrolled. Check out the details and requirements of different programs on the Financial Aid Programs website.


I made registration changes. When will my financial aid awards be adjusted?
Awards will be adjusted accordingly before the payment deadline of each semester.


Will financial aid pay for remedial/developmental courses?
Yes, however, the maximum number of remedial/developmental hours allowed is 30. Once you exceed 30 hours, financial aid will no longer cover those hours.


How do I apply for scholarships?
To be considered for scholarships, please visit our scholarship website and follow the instructions to apply for a particular scholarship.


What happens to the balance of my Pell Grant if I do not enroll in full-time classes for that particular term?
If you don’t enroll as a full-time student during a fall or spring term, your Pell Grant annual eligibility balance may be used to determine a summer award. The summer award will also be determined by your enrollment level for that term. If, during an award year, you don’t use your full eligibility, you may not carry that eligibility over to a different award year.


Do I need to apply again for the summer?
No, our school year begins with the fall term and continues through the second summer session. Students are automatically awarded for Summer sessions at an expected half-time enrollment. Once it is closer to payment deadline for summer sessions, awards are reviewed and adjusted according to eligibility and enrollment.


What are the consequences if I drop a class or completely withdraw from TSC?
Dropping a class may result in you not making satisfactory academic progress; therefore, you may not be eligible for additional financial aid. You may also be required to repay funds received during the semester if you drop or completely withdraw from classes. See the section on Return of Title IV funds.