TSC helps student gain career skills in more ways than one

Michael Cordova has big dreams of becoming a chief with the border patrol, so to set his future in motion he found the Criminal Justice program at Texas Southmost College to be his best choice.

Following in his family’s footsteps, with a sister in the Army and an uncle and grandfather on the police force in Mexico, the 23-year-old always knew that law enforcement was his calling.

“It’s something that has always felt right for me,” said the Dallas native. “I consider myself a servant leader, and this is my way of helping and making a difference in my community.”

Cordova is a former member of the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Law Enforcement Explorer Program, a volunteer program designed to give young men and women exposure to law enforcement careers, an experience that solidified his choice.

“I have a goal and TSC is the place that’s going to help me get there,” said Cordova. “Their program offers an in-depth look and training into various areas of law enforcement and criminal justice fields and offers job and career resources. I thought, ‘It can’t get any better than this.’”

But for Cordova, it did get better.

His college experience got better when he began to actively participate on campus with Student Life and the Campus Activities Board (CAB).

“TSC has really made me a well-rounded student and leader,” he said. “Believe it or not, despite my career choice, I was a very shy guy. TSC got me to break out of my shell and showed me what I’m capable of.”

With volunteer opportunities on and off campus, the student leader said this too has prepared him for a future in law enforcement.

“I’ve gained a number of skills like teamwork, leadership and communication that are needed in my chosen profession,” said Cordova. “At the same time, I’m putting smiles on people’s faces and creating a fun college experience beyond the classroom. It’s a rewarding feeling.”

In addition to CAB, Cordova has also recently started working as a student worker with the Office of Student Life.

“Every experience I’ve had at TSC is building me up for success,” he said. “I advise other students like me to take advantage of everything TSC has to offer, because you never know how it’s going to help you achieve your goals.”

For more information about TSC’s Criminal Justice program, visit tsc.edu.