TSC’s Industrial Insulation program graduates first class, industry partner offers the class jobs

TSC Safety and Security Command Center

Javier Hinojosa was looking for a career change, and he found it in Texas Southmost College’s Industrial Insulation program.

The 47-year-old is one of nine students who were part of the program’s first graduating class and who were offered positions at BrandSafway.

BrandSafway is a leading global provider of specialized services for industrial, commercial and infrastructure markets, and a partner in creating and designing TSC’s Industrial Insulation workforce training program.

“I could not believe what I was hearing when they made the offer,” said Hinojosa. “To have this kind of opportunity after only a two-week program is amazing. I’m excited about graduating and beginning my second career.”

Hinojosa worked in transportation and logistics, but enrolled at TSC because he is ready to spend more time at home with his family.

Robert Bel, senior manager of craft development for BrandSafway, offered the graduates advice as they prepare to enter the workforce where their skills are in demand.

“You are our firsts and I’m so glad to be a part of that,” said Bel. “Take what you have learned and grow. You have a foundation now; don’t stop learning. Hold yourself to a higher standard and strive to be the best.”

BrandSafway Hiring Center Coordinator and TSC Industrial Insulation instructor Juan Salazar said he is very proud of his first class and is excited for their job offers.

“I hope each one takes their offer and uses it to grow and work hard to establish successful careers in this industry,” said Salazar. “They will all be valuable assets to our company and we’re excited to welcome them to BrandSafway.”

Salazar added that he has seen these students grow throughout the two-week program, and is impressed with the skills they have obtained.

“They will begin as entry-level workers, but we’ve pushed them to go above and beyond, so if they apply the skills we’ve taught them there is no doubt that they will be successful,” he said. “It’s a well-paid field and none of this would have been possible for our company, our industry or these students without TSC.”

Industrial Insulation graduate Jesus Garcia agrees that TSC did the right thing in creating this brand new program.

“I started college over in the Coastal Bend area, but COVID messed it up for me and I had to return home. But I guess it was meant to be,” said the 20-year-old. “I found TSC’s insulation program and I knew immediately it was where I was supposed to be.”

Like his classmates, he is excited about the opportunity of working at BrandSafway.

“I can’t believe they’ve offered us all a job,” said Garcia. “It’s a great surprise and I’m ready. This program has prepared us well by exposing us to everything we will see and do out in the field. I know I can bring a lot to the table with these skills.”

TSC President Jesus Roberto Rodriguez addressed the graduates and on behalf the TSC Board of Trustees and faculty he congratulated them on their achievement.

“Today we celebrate your achievement and hard work,” Rodriguez told the graduates. “We could have not gotten to this day without the support of our industry partner BrandSafway. These partnerships are critical to helping TSC improve lives, better a community and improve our area’s economy. It’s a win-win for TSC, Brownsville and for our region.”

The next Industrial Insulation class begins Nov. 30, and Salazar said BrandSafway is excited to continue this partnership with TSC to fill and meet industry needs and is ready to take the class to the next level as they move forward.

“When you create a new program, it’s a process,” he said. “But we are already on the right track and we’re ready to change lives.”

For more information or to enroll in TSC’s Industrial Insulation program, email [email protected].