TSC HVAC alum credits college for successful career

Texas Southmost College HVAC program alumnus Enrique Del Angel serves on the college’s HVAC Advisory Committee..

Enrique Del Angel’s 30-year career in heating, ventilation and air conditioning began when he was only 13 years old, and it was at Texas Southmost College where he was able to prepare for a successful career.

Del Angel is the branch manager at United Refrigeration, Inc. in Harlingen serving residential, commercial and industrial customers for 13 years.

“I realized early on, by watching my dad, that HVAC was an industry that was essential and paid well,” said the 49-year-old. “So it only made sense that I would continue in the industry and make a career out of it.”

The Brownsville native started his formal education in HVAC as a junior at Homer Hanna High School and later went on to earn a certificate in HVAC from TSC in 1992.

He worked for several local air conditioning companies in Cameron County after graduating from TSC, gaining experience and along the way furthering his education in HVAC.

Del Angel returned to TSC as a HVAC technician where he walked the same halls he did as a student.

“This was a moment in time where I felt like my life had come full circle,” he said. “And it was TSC’s HVAC program that prepared me for my career.”

Del Angel added that it was at TSC where he was able to hone his craft because of the hands-on training he received and his instructors pushing him forward in his career.

“Our instructors really stressed lifelong learning and taught us lifelong lessons,” he said. “It was my parents that created my spark in education, but it was TSC that kept the fire going.”

In 2018, Del Angel earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Wayland Baptist University.

Bringing his expertise and knowledge from the industry to the table, Del Angel serves on the TSC HVAC Advisory Committee, keeping faculty updated on the advanced technologies currently used and helping define what employers are looking for in qualified candidates.

“TSC faculty does a great job keeping up with the latest technologies in the field. I’m there for support,” said Del Angel. “But the reason why I truly serve is to give back to a campus that gave me so much, to serve as a mentor and make a difference.”

He added that it’s rewarding when he encounters students he has mentored and they thank him for his advice and not allowing them to give up.

“Knowing I made an impact in someone’s life is an emotional thing,” said Del Angel. “It’s great to know I can make a difference and it’s an honor serving on TSC’s advisory committee. Once a Scorpion, always a Scorpion.”

The father of five hopes to earn a master’s degree in organizational leadership in the near future to continue climbing the industry ladder. He said his goal is to become United Refrigeration’s regional manager.

“My goal as a father, advisory committee member and manager is to always make a positive impact and inspire others,” he said. “The same way TSC has inspired me.”

For more information, visit TSC’s HVAC program.