Four TSC architecture students awarded LRGV-AIA scholarships

TSC architecture students have benefited exclusively from LRGV-AIA’s annual scholarship since 2009.

“We are very glad that this is happening here in the Rio Grande Valley to help our students further their education, and our students are taking advantage of it,” said Dr. Murad Abusalim, TSC architecture instructor. “We’re looking forward to having this continue.”

Diana Melissa Andrade and Juan Moya were awarded $1,000 each, and Pedro González and Martín Jaramillo each received $750.

“It’s a great opportunity to pay for my classes and motivation for me to continue furthering my education,” said Moya, who will graduate in spring 2016 with an Associate of Science in Architecture.

“It’s great support financially and it’s a great incentive,” added Andrade. “It motivates me to keep going.”

Moya loves to draw and was motivated by the passion for his hobby to become an architect.

“I like to draw a lot, so I wanted to see those sketches come to life,” explained Moya. “That’s my main motivation.”

Andrade also likes to draw, houses in particular, and decided to pursue architecture as a career.

“I’ve always liked drawing houses and as I learned more, I realized that architecture is way more than just that,” said Andrade, who will graduate in December with an Associate of Science in Architecture. “I really want to continue my education in landscape architecture.”

About Texas Southmost College
Originally established in 1926, Texas Southmost College currently offers the first two years toward a bachelor’s degree, along with career and technical education leading to certificates and associate degrees, college preparatory studies to prepare students for college-level work, workforce training, and continuing education. Recently selected as a Bright Spot by the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics, TSC offers 53 programs of study leading to an associate degree or certificate. TSC became independently operational in the fall of 2013, after engaging in a 20-year contractual arrangement with a public university.