New CJI Applicant Student Portal
Request Info Inservice Traning Calendar
Police Officers earn between $30,000 and $60,000 annually.
Cadets who successfully complete the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement State exam are eligible to work throughout Cameron County and the State of Texas.
The Criminal Justice Institute has over 21 hiring partners within Cameron County and surrounding areas.
The Basic Police Officer Certification Course covers 752 hours – 720 hours mandated by the State of Texas. The training includes academics, fitness, practical application (hands-on), and reality-based training.
- 20 & ½ at the start of the police academy
- High school diploma/transcripts or GED
- College readiness assessment (TSI)
- Birth Certificate (US citizen)
- Driver’s License
- Exemplary criminal background and MV record, & approved medical and psychological assessments
- Entry Exam:
- TSI Reading: 351 and TSI Writing: 351 (through 2020) or diagnostic 5, and 5+ essay
- TSIA2 ELAR: 945+ and essay of 5
- TSIA2 ELAR Diagnostic: 5 and essay of 5
Recent High School Graduates
- Complete the Associates of Applied Science in Criminal Justice (36 hours)
- Enter the Police Academy to complete the BPOC (24 hours)
- Graduate with a peace officer license and an Associates Degree
- Click here to review the Program of Study
- Receive legal training from Cameron County District Attorneys
- Receive mandated certifications from local, state, and federal agencies
- Receive a TSC Certificate of Completion
- Receive preparatory training to complete the state Peace Officer exam
- Tuition & fees: $2,635
- Equipment & Supplies: : $1,920 – $2,500
- Courses: BPOC I, II, III, IV, V
- January – June (8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
- July – December (8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
- January – December (Night)
Workforce Solutions funding is available for eligible applicants.
Early Registration Accepted
|Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (956) 295-3734
301 Mexico Blvd.