For an appointment call: 956-295-3761
What is Vita? The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers FREE e-filed income tax preparation to people who cannot afford a paid professional to do their income taxes. Volunteers are trained and certified to provide assistance in preparing tax returns and help taxpayers take advantage of tax credits, including the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit. Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program will receive their refund in half the time compared to returns filed on paper: even faster if you have your refund deposited directly into your bank account.
The VITA volunteers are students and community volunteers. The student volunteers are from the Accounting Technology program. The TSC VITA site is a collaboration between Texas Southmost College and United Way of Southern Cameron County.
The TSC VITA tax site is located at the ITEC Campus (301 Mexico Blvd.) in room F-6.
Call for an appointment VITA site phone number is 956-295-3761.
The public may call 2-1-1 or visit 211texas.org to find a free VITA tax site in the entire Rio Grande Valley.
Click here to view all the VITA tax sites.
The TSC VITA tax site opens January 24 – April 18, 2023.
What you need to bring:
- Valid photo identification.
- Original Social Security Cards for all household members.
- A copy of last year’s tax return if available.
- Health Insurance Forms 1095-A (if getting insurance through the Market Place)
- Income documents such as Forms W-2, W-2G, & 1099 from all employers and other sources (social security, unemployment, pension, etc.).
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit of refund.
- For students with post-secondary tuition expenses or grant income bring Form 1098-T.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number.
- Identity Theft prevention pin, if assigned by the IRS.
- All other information pertinent to income tax filing.
- Both spouses must be present to sign the required forms for Married Filing Jointly returns.
- VITA sites do not prepare Married Filing Separately returns.