Special Circumstances

Professional Judgment

Although the formula used to determine eligibility for federal student aid is basically the same for all applicants, there is some flexibility.

In some cases, the Financial Aid Office might adjust your cost of attendance or the information used to calculate your EFC to take into account any special circumstances you might have. These circumstances could include a family’s unusual medical expenses or tuition expenses. Also, an adjustment might be made if you, your spouse, or either parent (if applicable) have had significant changes in income. This will is determined by comparing last year’s income tax return with the current income tax return. If conditions such as these apply to you or your family, contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.

Also, check with the Financial Aid Office if you think you have any other “special circumstances” that might affect your dependency status or the amount you and your family are expected to contribute. But, there have to be very good reasons for the Financial Aid Office to make any adjustments, and you will have to provide adequate proof to support those adjustments.

NOTE: The Financial Aid Office decision is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.

If you feel that you have a Special Circumstance for loss of income, please contact our office or visit our online forms web page to submit the Change in Income form.

Increased Title IV Aid for Military Dependents

Beginning 2009â€2010, students whose parent or guardian died as a result of U.S. military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may receive increased amounts of Title IV student financial assistance. Pellâ€eligible students will receive all Title IV aid based on EFC (Expected Family Contribution) of zero without regard to students’ calculated EFC on SAR/ISIR.