Building a Community of Learners
The purpose of this academy is to strengthen educators’ pedagogical skills so they are better equipped to help our students achieve academic and personal success. The Faculty Academy will cover aspects of teaching ranging from how to create a community of learners, effective strategies in assessment, teaching style, course design, incorporation of technology, as well as developing one’s teaching philosophy, and teaching demonstration.
ET&OL Faculty Academy Student Learning Objectives:
As a participant of the Faculty Academy, you will learn how to-
- Identify strategies to create classroom community;
- Determine how your course relates to students’ experiences;
- Recognize and differentiate between instructor-centered vs. student-centered syllabi and lesson plan language and pedagogy;
- Explore varying teaching methods;
- Develop â€œlearning extensionsâ€ of your course beyond the â€œclassroomâ€;
- Consider technology application in courses; and
- Compare and contrast effective assessment strategies for student and personal performance.