Frequently Asked Questions

Cohort – A cohort program treats students within the program as a group for their program or course of study. A simple way to view a cohort program is as a group of classmates.

College Preparatory Studies Course (CPS) – CPS courses are designed for students whose records indicate that they need preparation prior to enrolling in college level courses. Students are placed in CPS courses based on their TSI scores. CPS courses are typically offered as a lecture with a lab. Subjects include mathematics, reading and writing.

Degree Plan – Also known as a Program of Study (POS) is an education road map for successful completion of a certificate, associate’s degree, or transfer to a four-year institution.

Elective – A course you take based on interest or with the intention to transfer to another institution, rather than to fill a particular degree requirement. Electives allow you to select college courses that fulfill a general education requirement. Under the General Studies Degree, a student has 15 credit hours of elective courses.

Freshman Seminar – The ORIN 0101 course helps develop and reinforce the skills, abilities, and behaviors that promote academic and personal success important for first year success. Topics covered include, time management skills, effective note taking, productive study skills, reading and remembering critical thinking, career and job resources, stress management.

Long semester – A long semester takes place over sixteen (16) weeks, which includes the fall or spring semester.

Mini Semester – Aka Minimester, typically takes place during a long semester (fall or spring), usually five (5) or eight (8) weeks in duration. The mini semesters have their own deadlines for refunds and withdrawals. See academic calendar for specific deadlines.

New Student Orientation (NSO)- The Scorpion Connection is a mandatory orientation that all new students are required to attend to ease the transition to Texas Southmost College. During the Scorpion Connection you will learn about resources and services available for students including campus life, tutoring, financial aid and more. The NSO is mandatory for all first time freshmen.

Program of Study (POS) – The POS, used interchangeably with the term Major, is the degree of record a student is taking courses under. A POS is automatically activated for the semester in which the students enrolls in courses. Changes to a student’s POS can only be made before or after the start of a long semester.

SAP Satisfactory Academic Progress – Students are expected to maintain a passing GPA and attain a certain number of credits each year to continue to be eligible for Financial Aid and be in academic good standing.

Transient Student – Transient students are enrolled in and seeking a degree at another institution of higher education who plan to take courses at Texas Southmost College during the summer sessions only are considered.

Advising FAQ

I have cleared admissions, when can I register for courses?
You can immediately register for the next semester. To make a registration request you can visit the TSC Advising Center located in the Oliveria Student Services Building or submit an online registration request, directions outline below.

How can I submit a request to register for courses online?
Online requests to register for courses can be made by logging on to your student email account, under MyTSC, then selecting Webmail. Requests should be made in following format.
Student Name and ID number: First Name Last Name, XXXXXXX
Semester (example: Fall, Spring, Summer1, or Summer2):  Fall 2017
Course Name and Section Number (example: ENGL 1301- M01): ENGL 1302 – M11

Any information missing will delay your registration request. If you do not know which courses are available for a particular semester, you can log into your student account, MyTSC, and select “Search for Sections”. You will have identify the semester and course prefix.

I was told I need remedial (CPS) course work. Can I take CPS courses online?
No. TSC does not offer CPS courses in an online format.

I am a Transient Student, am I required to take the Freshmen Seminar Course, ORIN 0101? Transient Students are not required to take the Freshman Seminar Course.  

I am trying to register online for the summer semester. I received an error massage stating I need the Freshmen Seminar Course, what can I do?
Although transient students are not required to take the Freshman Seminar Course, they may receive an error message when trying to register via their student account under MyTSC online. Students needing help with registration can follow the ‘Request to register’ instructions outlined above.

I would like to register for an online course. How can I distinguish an online course from a traditional course?
Online courses will be designated by the section number beginning with “W†for web.

Do I need to request special approval to take an online course?
No. Students interested in registering for an online course will have to complete a onetime “Online Course Orientationâ€. Students will only be registered for a course after successful completion of the “Online Course Orientationâ€, not to be confused with an online “New Student Orientationâ€, see definitions above.

When is the last day to register?
The last day to register for a particular semester can be found on the Academic Calendar published on the TSC website.

When is the last day to withdrawal without a recorded grade?
The last day to withdrawal without a recorded grade can be found on the Academic Calendar published on the TSC website.

When is the last day to withdrawal with a “W�
The last day to withdrawal without a “W†can be found on the Academic Calendar published on the TSC website.

I am experiencing difficulty with one of my courses. How can I get help?
TSC offers students tutorials in person and online. For more information regarding tutorials, subjects available, and availability, visit the CPS page for Tutoring Services.

I received an email notification about one of the following subjects, what do I do next?
Students must make an appointment to meet with an advisor for any one of the following reasons. Students who are unable to visit with an advisor on campus during the normal hours of operation or request to meet with an advisor via phone or web conferencing. See “How can I request to meet with an Advisor” below.

  • An Early Alert
  • 30 Credit Hour Plan
  • Graduation Check
  • Being placed on Probation
  • Facing Academic Dismissal

NOTE: Students must visit the Online Resources FAQ for step by step instructions to install the WebEx software program for your laptop or computer, or app installation instructions for your IPhone or Android prior to their meeting day/time.

How can I request to meet with an advisor online?
Requests to meet with an Advisor online must be made via email, by logging into your student account, under MyTSC and clicking Webmail. Students should include the following information in the email request.

NOTE: Student must account for additional time to download and install any software needed to meet with the advisor.

Subject of Meeting (example: Early Alert, Transfer, Graduation Check, etc.):
Suggested day/ time: Monday, 5:00 pm
Suggested conferencing mode: In person, WebEx, or via phone

NOTE: Students must visit the Online Resources FAQ for step by step instructions to install the WebEx software program for your laptop or computer, or app installation instructions for your IPhone or Android prior to their meeting day/time.

I was placed on Academic Probation. One of the requirements is to attend a workshop. Where can I find more information about the workshops available? 
Students can find a list of workshops and campus activities by visiting the TSC Events calendar.

I have questions about my degree plan. How do I know which degree plan and catalog year I am following?

  • Check MyTSC online, select degree audit, select the “active” program
  • Meet with an advisor

How can I change my major?
Students can request to change their major at the start or end of each long semester, fall or spring. All students should run a proposed degree audit before deciding to make a change to their major. A proposed degree audit will give the student an idea of how their completed courses would be applied to a new major. To set up an appointment to meet with an advisor follow the “request to meet with an advisor” instructions above.

I want to know if my courses will transfer to another institution, who can I speak to?