The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a service learning project that is incorporated in the course ACNT-1193 Special Topics in Taxation.
What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers FREE e-filed income tax preparation to people who cannot afford a paid professional to do their income taxes. Volunteers are trained and certified to provide assistance in preparing tax returns and help taxpayers take advantage of tax credits, including the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit. Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program will receive their refund in half the time compared to returns filed on paper: even faster if you have your refund deposited directly into your bank account.
The VITA volunteers are students and community volunteers. The student volunteers are from the Accounting Technology program. The TSC VITA site is a collaboration between Texas Southmost College and United Way of Southern Cameron County.
The TSC VITA tax site is located at the ITEC Center (301 Mexico Blvd.) in Room F-6. For more information about this VITA site, please call 956-295-3761.
The public may call 2-1-1 or visit 211texas.org to find a free VITA tax site in the entire Rio Grande Valley.
The TSC VITA tax site opens for drop-offs February 1 and runs through April 15, 2021.
What you need to bring:
- Valid photo identification.
- Original Social Security Cards for all household members.
- A copy of last year’s tax return, if available.
- Health Insurance Forms 1095 or know your coverage dates for all household members.
- Income documents such as Forms W-2, W-2G, & 1099 from all employers and other sources (social security, unemployment, pension, etc.).
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit of refund.
- For students with post-secondary tuition expenses or grant income bring Form 1098-T.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number.
- Identity Theft prevention pin, if assigned by the IRS.
- Both spouses must be present to sign the required forms for Married Filing Jointly returns.
- VITA sites do not prepare Married Filing Separately returns.