Texas Southmost College will be a premier community college dedicated to student success.
Role and Scope
Texas Southmost College’s mission is guided by our commitment to provide:
- University transfer, career, and technical programs leading to an associate degree or certificate along with courses specializing in college preparatory and developmental education, workforce training, adult literacy, and continuing education to support the evolving needs of citizens, industry, and economic development initiatives within Cameron and Willacy Counties.
- High-quality instruction and learning opportunities in the classroom, online, and through other delivery methods; a supportive and innovative faculty and staff; appropriate technology, equipment, and learning resources; and advising and assessment services to promote transfer to a four-year baccalaureate institution, entry or advancement in the workforce, or lifelong learning.
- A learning-centered, service-oriented environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion; facilitates growth and development; fosters social responsibility, critical thinking, communication, and innovation; and empowers and engages students, faculty, and staff to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Institutional effectiveness that embraces individual accountability, data-driven decision making, change, and an unending pursuit of excellence.
To successfully fulfill the vision and mission, Texas Southmost College is consciously committed to:
- Integrity by respecting the ideals of social responsibility, academic honesty, trustworthiness, personal ethics, and the courage to act.
- Access by reaching out to our diverse communities, expanding linkages with industry, and strengthening our partnerships with area ISDs and universities to create accessible and affordable educational pathways for our students, faculty, and staff.
- Service by encouraging and recognizing collaboration, teamwork, compassion, and service to others.
- Excellence by providing relevant, high-quality educational experiences and a supportive learning environment to advance knowledge, promote understanding, and achieve the academic and workforce potential of students, faculty, and staff.
- Innovation by embracing emerging technologies to enhance and expand teaching, learning, and service opportunities for students, faculty, and staff.
- Success by empowering, engaging, and educating students, faculty, and staff to achieve their personal and professional aspirations for graduation, academic transfer, employment, and other educational goals.
In response to the region’s challenges and to achieve this vision and mission, TSC’s identified five goals for the 2018-2023 Strategic Plan:
- Foster Student Success
- Lead Regional Workforce Development
- Enrich the Student Experience
- Enhance Community Connections
- Invest in Each Other
TSC’s five goals will focus on the following five (5) priorities:
- Develop pathways with degree plans to move students to completion.
- Employ high impact strategies and services in academic and student support.
- Focus on non-traditional/adult students.
- Enhance teaching and learning spaces with updated equipment, furniture, and technology to reflect a collegiate environment.
- Work with employers to develop programs and internships that are aligned with immediate and emerging job market demands.