What is a Transient student?
Students enrolled in and seeking a degree at another institution of higher education who plan to take courses at Texas Southmost College during the summer sessions only are considered transient students and should complete the application process well before registration begins for the summer term they plan to attend.
What requirements are needed as a Transient student at TSC?
- Apply for Admissions
Complete and submit the admissions application through Apply Texas. An active application is required to move forward with the enrollment process.
Submit two proofs of Texas state residency for tuition purposes to the Office of Admissions. All residency documents must include the student’s name and address and be dated 12 months prior to the first class day.
- Comply with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements.
Meet the placement requirements with official documentation of TSI exemption or compliance (test scores or official college transcript) or take mandatory placement tests. All TSI students, regardless of degree or certificate declared, must take the TSI Assessment; however, students enrolling in Level One Certificate programs that do not identify skills levels will not be prohibited from enrolling in a program if identified as not college ready.
- Submit Transcrips
Transient students may submit an official in-progress transcript form the college/ university attended if grades for the current semester are not available for the purposes of admission and registration. Upon completion of the semester, students may request their TSC transcript be sent to their college.
If students remain enrolled for the subsequent semester, they must submit an official transcript form the college/ university with final grades posted.
- Provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis vacation.
State law requires that entering students show evidence of receiving a bacterial meningitis vaccination or booster dose during the five (5) year period prior to enrollment. The law allows for some exceptions. Information is also available through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
- Schedule an advising Session.
Advising is not required for all transient students but is strongly recommended. Students entering with less than (12) credit hours, less than 2.0 grade point average (GPA), or enrolling in college preparatory (developmental education) courses are required to meet with an advisor.
How do I submit my required Transient documents?
All required documentation may be submitted via email at
or mailed directly to the Office of Admissions and Records:
Texas Southmost College
Office of Admissions
80 Fort Brown
Brownsville, Texas 78520
Once you have submitted all your documentation, you may contact our Office of Admissions at 956-295-3605 to make sure you have been cleared with Admissions.
- We will provide you with your TSC Credentials at this time
What is my next step after submitting all my required Transient documentation and have been cleared with Admissions?
- You are now ready to register!
- Once you are complete and have obtained your TSC credentials, you are now able to register at TSC Online for your required courses.
- If your course is not available you must continue to check TSC Online to see if your course becomes available.
- Please visit with the appropriate department and/or Academic Advisor to discuss any options.
- If you have any questions regarding what classes to take, please contact our Academic Advisement Department at
or at 956-295-3640.
- Once registered, please see the Academic Calendar for payment deadlines and class start date.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 April 2016 13:09