Frequently Asked Questions
  1. How do I contact my academic advisor?

    You can contact your academic advisor by calling the Academic Advising office at (956) 295-3640 or stopping by the Academic Advising Office located in the Student Services Center Monday to Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

  2. How do I change my major?

    Your can change your major by visiting an Academic Advisor at the Academic Advising Office located in the Student Services Center Monday to Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

  3. What is full/part/half time credit load?

    Full time is a credit load of 12 credit hours or more
    3/4 time (three quarter) is a credit load between 9 to 11 credit hours
    Half time is a credit load between 6 to 8 credit hours
    *For Financial Aid credit load requirements please contact the Financial Aid Office at (956) 295-3620.

  4. Can I test out of any courses?

    Yes, some departments offer students the option of testing out of some courses. Please contact each department for the most up to date information or visit the testing office for course testing out options.

  5. What are "blocks" and how do I get them removed?

    A block is a process that is put in place to prevent you from completing a transaction. Examples are registering for classes or graduating. To remove a block you need to contact the appropriate office.
        Advising Block - Contact the Academic Advising Office at (956) 295-3640
        Admissions Block - Contact the Admissions Office at(956) 295-3600
        Business Office Block - Contact the Business Office at (956) 295-3420
        Department Block - Contact the appropriate department

  6. Can I take classes online at TSC?

    Every semester Texas Southmost College increases the number of classes and the methods of teaching. At this time online classes are not available, but check back with us next semester.

  7. If I do not attend for a semester do I have to re-apply?

    Students are required to re-apply if they have been out more than a year. To get the most up-to-date information on admissions requirements, please contact the Admissions Office at (956) 295-3600.

  8. I need information about the TSI test. How do I find it?

    Please contact the Testing office for the most up to date information, (956) 295-3660.

  9. I want to take a credit overload. How do I get permission?

    You can take up to 18 credit hours without permission. If you want to take more than 18 credit hours, you need to get permission from the dean of your respective program of study.

  10. What are the steps for auditing a course?

    Student must have an active application on file. If not, an application can be initiated through and must follow through with the Office of Admissions and Records and inform the department that there is an interest in auditing a course. Student will be informed of the detailed process to get approval of the course.
    *Once approved the student will be able to pay the $50 per credit fee associated with auditing a course

  11. What is a prerequisite?

    A prerequisite is a course that must be completed with a certain minimum grade before you can enroll in the course that will follow.

  12. What is a cohort program?

    Cohort programs are designed to provide students with a community of peers that have the same academic program and the objective of graduating on the expected semester, after taking a great portion of the academic courses together.

  13. How am I affected if I withdraw from a class?

    Withdrawing from a class will not impact your GPA, but it might impact your financial aid status. To remain in good academic standing, a student must maintain an overall grade point average of 2.0.

  14. I'm getting a prerequisite block. How can I clear it?

    Please visit with an Academic Advisor for more information.

  15. Can I register for a closed class?

    No, you must continue to check TSC Online to see if course becomes available. Please visit with the appropriate department and/or Academic Advisor to discuss any options.

  16. How many withdraws can I have on my student record?

    Six Course Drop Ruling: Students are limited to a total of six (6) course drops during their undergraduate career, including a course(s) dropped at another institution as defined in Section 51.907 of the Texas Education Code, which limits the number of courses that may be dropped under certain circumstances. (refer to student handbook for detailed information).

  17. What does SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) mean?

    Satisfactory Academic Progress
    Federal regulations require all students applying for financial assistance to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to receive aid. The progress standards that students are required to meet in order to maintain financial aid eligibility are:

    • An overall 2.0 GPA and maintain a cumulative completion rate of 70% of the attempted coursework (including developmental, dual enrollment and/or transfer hours accepted by TSC). (refer to student handbook for further details).

  18. How can I calculate my GPA?

    Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA)
    The GPA is derived by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of semester credit hours attempted (not including AU, I, P, CR, NR, W, WM, WS) for which grades have been received. The average is based on all semester and term coursework.

    Calculating the GPA:

    1. Multiply the number of semester credit hours each course is worth by the quality points earned.
    2. Add these values.
    3. Divide this sum by the number of semester credit hours attempted. (Please refer to student handbook for further details).
    Online GPA calculator:

  19. How does Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) apply to me?

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and the Texas Open Records Act are federal and state laws, respectively, that provide for the review and disclosure of academic records. (please refer to student handbook for exceptions).

  20. How do I apply for Graduation?

    Please visit The Office of Admissions for Graduation Application. Once you have filled out application, you must visit with an Academic Advisor for a degree audit (evaluation) to confirm that all courses have been taken. Currently, there is no graduation application fee.

  21. What GPA do I need to graduate?

    Students must have a 2.0 GPA or better to be able to graduate with a program at TSC. Some programs may have specific graduation requirements. Please visit an academic advisor for more information.

Last Updated on Thursday, 08 May 2014 15:15