Texas Southmost College will be a premier community college dedicated to student success.
Transforming our communities through innovative learning opportunities
Role and Scope
Texas Southmost College's mission is guided by our commitment to provide:
- University transfer, career, and technical programs leading to an associate degree or certificate along with courses specializing in college preparatory and developmental education, workforce training, adult literacy, and continuing education to support the evolving needs of citizens, industry, and economic development initiatives within Cameron and Willacy Counties.
- High-quality instruction and learning opportunities in the classroom, online, and through other delivery methods; a supportive and innovative faculty and staff; appropriate technology, equipment, and learning resources; and advising and assessment services to promote transfer to a four-year baccalaureate institution, entry or advancement in the workforce, or lifelong learning.
- A learning-centered, service-oriented environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion; facilitates growth and development; fosters social responsibility, critical thinking, communication, and innovation; and empowers and engages students, faculty and staff to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Institutional effectiveness that embraces individual accountability, data-informed decision making, change, and an unending pursuit of excellence.
To successfully fulfill the vision and mission, Texas Southmost College is consciously committed to:
- Integrity by respecting the ideals of social responsibility, academic honesty, trustworthiness, personal ethics, and the courage to act.
- Access by reaching out to our diverse communities, expanding linkages with industry, and strengthening our partnerships with area ISDs and universities to create accessible and affordable educational pathways for our students, faculty and staff.
- Service by encouraging and recognizing collaboration, teamwork, compassion, and service to others.
- Excellence by providing relevant, high-quality educational experiences and a supportive learning environment to advance knowledge, to promote understanding and to achieve the academic and workforce potential of students, faculty and staff.
- Innovation by embracing emerging technologies to enhance and expand teaching, learning and service opportunities for students, faculty and staff.
- Success by empowering, engaging and educating students, faculty and staff to achieve their personal and professional aspirations for graduation, academic transfer, employment, and other educational goals
In response to the region's challenges and to achieve this vision and mission, TSC's Institutional goals will revolve around four priorities between 2012 and 2017:
Provide accessible, affordable, and flexible instructional delivery systems and dynamic curricula to all students, regardless of time or place, by enhancing career and technical programs that are responsive to the training needs of industry and a highly skilled workforce and by collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to improve college readiness, define outcomes, and promote multiple paths to student access, completion and success.
Promote academic excellence and student learning through high-quality, learning-centered instruction and support services with a continuous focus on improving student learning outcomes that reflect the highest academic standards and that meet the needs of our communities and industry partners.
III. Community Engagement
Establish mutually beneficial public, private and community-based partnerships to expand awareness, leverage resources, and promote services and programs of the College that meet the needs of the communities in which it serves.
IV. Institutional Effectiveness
Enhance student success by focusing on continuous improvement that is grounded on
- Evidence-based initiatives, strategies, and processes;
- Student, faculty and staff engagement in teaching and learning outcomes;
- Professional development;
- An integrated systems approach to facilitate efficient use of college resources through fiscally sound practices; and
- Collaboration with and service to the communities in which the College serves.